Thursday 29 September 2011

Carpets for Communities

On Saturday, 24th September, I had an appointment with Cambodian charity organisation, Carpets for Communities at Paddington Market. I was there to talk to Stall Manager, Sarah about volunteering at the market, selling carpets handmade by Cambodian families. Every carpet you buy helps them to break the cycle of poverty and keep children in school where they belong and not end up victims of exploitation. Every lovely carpet comes with a photo of the family that made the carpet. Carpets are made of bright, lovely coloured cotton tee-shirt offcuts woven on to rice bags.


I have always been against human trafficking and child exploitation and so supporting this cause feels right. Ever since I can remember, I have always wanted to give some time to help the underpriviledged in some way. As I will be visiting Cambodia next April, I have been looking into doing some volunteer work to give my trip more meaning and to give something back from my very blessed life. Big or small, even a little effort goes a long way to helping this cause. The organisation welcomes volunteers so if you feel this is something you would like to be involved in, drop me an email so that I can pass on the contact. Next time you visit Paddington Market, look out for Carpets for Communities. It is run by a team of wonderful volunteers. Be sure to stop by and say hi.

Check out wordpress.carpetsforcommunities.org


Picture: Michelle, Kenneth, Aleesha

No comments:

Post a Comment